As mentioned previously, the historic Civil War site has been struggling to come up with the funds needed to secure a neighbouring parcel. The state had until the end of September to come up with the $310,000, but it fell short; they then reached out to the current property owner who gave them an extra month.
WRAL is now reporting that the funds have been acquired:
The bulk of the money came in two large donations of $150,000 each, Kevin Cherry, deputy secretary of the Department of Cultural Resources said Wednesday the state received two grants of $150,000 each. The other $13,000 came from smaller donations, including someone in Virginia who sent a check for $18.65 to mark the year the Civil War ended.
Yeah, the big spender with the $18.65 probably sealed the deal there.
WRAL doesn’t mention where those $150,000 “donations” came from, although elsewhere in that article they also describe them as “grants” (protip: grants aren’t technically the same thing as donations, WRAL). The initial Herald article reported that the state had originally been seeking a grant from the Civil War Trust, and failing to secure that grant is what put the land in jeopardy.
Have you ever checked out Bennett Place? It’s pretty cool. Located on the northwest side of town out by US 70, the state park is the site of the largest surrender during the civil war.
Spoiler: the Confederates are the ones who surrendered.
Anyway, the park was hoping to acquire a 2 acre parcel of land which contains the road Gen. Johnston took on the way to surrender to Sherman. The problem? They don’t have the cash.
The first I saw about the situation was an article in the Herald dated September 22, stating that the park was trying to raise $310,000 by September 30. That’s some seriously short notice; it sounds like a grant didn’t come through. The WRAL article mentions that the deadline was later pushed back to October 31.
It’s unclear to me how much they’ve raised of that $310,000. WRAL quotes the same figure. Bennett Place itself doesn’t seem to have any information about this situation on the web, so I’ll just quote what they told WRAL:
Donations can be made to the Bennett Place Support Fund, 4409 Bennett Memorial Road, Durham, NC 27705. For more information, call 919-383-4345 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It also looks like you can also donate to the fund via the Bennett Place web site.
The property in question is directly across the road from the main park facilities, and I ride my bike through there pretty often. It will certainly change the character of the historic site if there’s commercial or light industrial directly adjacent.
I imagine most of you have encountered Open Durham at some point, but perhaps you aren’t aware that there’s presently an Indiegogo campaign in the works to help the project out. The site, which is the work of Gary Kueber, is used to document the history of structures and parcels throughout Durham county (and, at times, beyond). I’ve linked to it several times here, and it’s a really valuable resource which I call upon weekly (if not more).
Before he started Open Durham, Gary maintained the Endangered Durham blog (which is, at least at present, seemingly defunct), but found the blogging platform too limited for the scope of his work. The bottom line is that Gary does a lot of the content, but he pays people for their work on hosting and development, and there are several remaining features that need to get done. They won’t pay for themselves, apparently, and hence this campaign.
At the time of this writing, you’ve got about 40 hours left if you’d like to contribute. If you chip in $50 or more you can snag some physical rewards (starting with a keychain, with T-shirts at $100), but at any reward tier you get the satisfaction of knowing you contributed to a really crucial project to preserving Durham’s history.
I’m a bit behind due to being out of town, so today I’ve got a jumbo version of odds and ends for you:
- The Chapel Hill St. parking deck downtown is once again undergoing a costly repair, only 5 years after its previous renovation to address structural defects. The expected bill this time is a cool $1.2M. The deck will initially be completely closed, but portions are expected to re-open in stages prior to the scheduled January completion date.
- The rain has taken its toll on ATT construction. Completion of the final phase (which will link downtown Durham all the way to Chatham county, via a bridge over I-40) has been pushed back to September and requires an extra $185,000 from the city.
- The Committee on the Affairs of Black People has backed Bell for re-election, which isn’t surprising but helps ensure his victory.
- The Parks and Rec department is facing some budgetary challenges. A new master plan is in the works, but in the near term don’t expect much to get done.
- Welcome back, NCCU students! Duke students will be back on August 20.
- Greenfire has sold 609 Foster St. to a group of developers headed by Tyler Huntington (of Tyler’s fame). Huntington and his partners plan to open a distillery / event space (think e.g. Fullsteam), making the already hot Foster / Greer area even hotter.
- In other Greenfire news, they sold the SouthBank building at 400 W. Main (across from 5 points) to Austin Lawrence Partners (the would-be developers of a skyscraper near the Suntrust building). The SouthBank building is an ugly concrete affair in the center of a surface parking lot, and all signs point to demolition / new construction on the site.
- People are stealing fire hydrant caps from Southpoint for some reason.
- Another fun sub-headline from the H-S: “Pet shop bitten by flea medicine thief.“
- Durham’s getting a biker bar. No, not that kind of biker bar, a bicycle bar. Yeah, pretty weird I guess, but cool maybe?
- Duke’s got phat stacks of cash.
- The second annual Escapist Expo gaming convention is returning to Durham on October 4-6. This year they’ve expanded to three venues around downtown. Twenty bucks gets you in.
- From the same H-S article, a note that Forbes has rated Durham as the tenth best place for business and careers. Raleigh is kicking our ass at #3, but at least our photo is cooler.
- Some shenanigans seem to have caused the state to switch the location of a DHHS office at the last minute to favor a site in Cary rather than a site in Durham. The move will cost the state an extra $1.3M, raising concerns that it’s being done to reward political allies at the expense of taxpayers.
- The H-S reports on National Night Out.
- The Historic Preservation Commission gave the OK to Duke’s renovation of the Power building in West Village, as well as a condo at Church and Main.
- Don’t tase me, bro! Well, I guess it’s OK, as long as you’re “helping.”
- The World Beer Festival will be held at the DAP (the old DAP, not the DPAB) on October 5.
- Protip: when studying for the driving test, “don’t drive into house” should be pretty high on your list. The driver failed the test this time, but he can try again next week (hopefully he’ll use the extra time to practice not wrecking).
Phew. Maybe I shouldn’t go on vacation again for a while, eh?
In a move that should probably not surprise anybody, the Council voted 6-0 last night to strip Liberty Warehouse of its local landmark status.
I’ve mentioned the warehouse before (here and here), but the long and short of it is that current owner Greenfire requested and received the status in 2011 in an attempt to reduce its tax burden. Unfortunately, under Greenfire’s watch, the building suffered a catastrophic roof collapse which was deemed too costly to repair, and Greenfire has been looking for an exit strategy ever since. They subsequently petitioned to remove the landmark status to make the property more attractive to potential buyers.
The structure is the last extant tobacco auction warehouse in Durham, and much of the interior has remained in tact despite the collapse. It’s really a shame that Greenfire allowed this to happen, and it’s quite unfortunate that nobody could find any solution.
The landmark status was a hurdle for Greenfire’s proposed sale of the property to Chapel Hill developer East-West Partners (represented by Roger Perry), whose contract to purchase the structure from Greenfire was contingent upon the removal of the designation. Landmark designation would have placed restrictions on any potential development of the site, and it’s unlikely that the financials would have made sense with it in tact.
The unanimous vote from the council comes after Preservation Durham lent its support to the new development plan, in which East-West Partners and Greenfire have stated an intent to retain as much of the facade as is feasible and create a museum on the site. It is important to note that without local landmark status East-West Partners will not have a legal obligation to these site elements, but it is presumably in their best interest to maintain a good working relationship with the community.
An interesting side show in all of this is that the Council has overridden the “Historic Preservation Commission,” which has the power to modify landmark status itself, but has failed to do so in the case of the Liberty Warehouse. I wouldn’t necessarily read this as a vote of no confidence in the Commission, but it does serve as a reminder that the buck ultimately stops at the council.